Handgun Licence (Concealable Cat H)
The process of applying for a Handgun Licence (Concealable Cat H) is different to the process of applying for a (Cat A/B) long arms firearms licence.
You will need to become a member of a 'Pistol Section' of an S.S.A.A. branch or member of another 'Approved Pistol Shooting Club'.
Most S.S.A.A. branches are also "Approved Pistol Shooting Clubs.
Prior to joining a pistol shooting club, those without a current firearms licence, must submit a Form QP-515 'Application for Statement of Eligibility to Join an Approved Pistol Shooting Club', at the nearest police station.
Weapons Licensing Branch will then process the form and send you back an authorisation letter.
When the authorisation letter arrives, you can then join the Pistol Section of a branch. The branch will advise you on what else is required. After joining, you must complete a probation period of 6 months. During that time you must attend a minimum of 3 Branch Competition Shoots. These shoots will be recorded on your Participation Record Card (QP-516) that the branch will issue you upon joining.
At any time during the 6 months you can complete a 30989QLD (Cat H) Firearms Safety Course.
When you have completed your 6 months probation period, you can then apply for your Concealable Firearms Licence.
Step 3.Applying for your licence:
Visit the Queensland Police Weapons Licensing website to submit a new Concealable Firearms Licence application online.
Additional licence application documents include:
- Current passport-quality photograph.
- Proof of address.
- Current declaration (QP518A) by the authorised representative of the approved pistol club, stating the applicant has:
- Current financial membership with the club, been a member of the pistol club for the 6 month period and participated in a least 3 competitions during the 6 months.
- A copy of your 30989QLD Firearms Safety Course (Category H) Statement of Attainment.
- A copy of your QP-516 Pistol Club Shooters Participation Card.
- Payment of prescribed license fees.
After you have submitted your application, it will be processed after 28 days. So please have patience.
Enjoy your sport.